Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Giving the TxTag a Workout

We've managed to stay in town since Christmas. Yeah, I know, that's only 2 months. But we thought about it for a while, and realized that it was quite possibly the longest stretch of time that we've been able to do that in our entire relationship. So these last two months have been blissful. Not that we don't love and miss our friends and families, of course, but being homebodies for a while was refreshing.

But the streak had to end, and at least it ended with a wonderful excuse to go to Houston -- a double birthday celebration! We spent Saturday morning at April and Justin's new place to wish Brody a happy 3rd birthday. And I'm not even remotely jealous of the huge playroom at their new house, what with the TV mounted on the wall where little fingers can't exercise editorial control at key points in the show. But I digress. The party was a blast, and we are indebted to them for introducing us to the wonders of sidewalk chalk.

So that was the trek from Katy to Humble and back. We had a quick rest, and then the party switched gears to honor Gigi, John's great-grandmother. We criss-crossed the city again, this time to Willowbrook, where the whole family managed to arrive within 45 minutes of our reservations. We enjoyed much Cajun goodness at Pappadeaux, where I realized that John needs some serious culinary education if he's going to make it in this family. The child will eat limes, and yet he turned down fried crawfish. I mean, it's crawfish. And it's FRIED. With sauce and everything. But no, it was shunned, along with the boudin. He ate white rice and fries. He doesn't know it yet, but he's going to come face to face with his first boiled crawfish when we head back home again for the rodeo next week. I was stirring the boiling pot at his age, so he needs to get with the program.

1 comment:

k&bpowers said...

We need to give the little man some mudbug education. Let me know if I can help.:)
By the way, I'm so looking forward to my first "HEB" trip within the next 2 years...