But the cat is pretty much out of the bag, or I guess you could say the panda is out of the cage. This may seem like the worst-kept secret in Austin, we finally get to officially share the big news around our house…
We’re moving to China! Yes, that China. Seriously. China.

Tommy has been working with a group of engineers based at NI’s Shanghai office since 2006, and has accepted a long-term transfer in order to work with them more closely. It’s a really cool opportunity, and we’re excited. And nervous. And just a touch overwhelmed. But mostly excited.
And now, allow me to present the official Connells Go to China FAQ:
Q: When are you leaving?
The plan is to move in January 2009. This is somewhat flexible, and will depend on what happens with our house and how quickly we can get all of our visa paperwork settled.
Q: When will you come home?
We’ll be over there about 18 months, in order to be back in Austin in time for John to start kindergarten in the fall of 2010.
Q: Where will you live?
We’ll be living in the Pudong section of Shanghai, a relatively new area of the (unbelievably large) city. Tommy and I are traveling over in November to find a place to live so we’ll know more then, but most likely we will find an apartment near the office in an expat-friendly area. To give you an idea of the general size of Shanghai, consider that the general Houston area is 600 square miles with 2.2 million people. Shanghai is just over 2700 square miles with about 20 million people.
Q: What about your house?
Our house is on the market. Anyone interested?
Q: What about your animals?
They are not moving with us. The fact is, we love them way too much to take them, considering the very long flight and the mandatory quarantine period. Lucy is almost 13, and has gone to live in Houston with Papa and Grandma Valerie, where she will most certainly enjoy her daily car rides and hot dogs. Franklin has gone to live in Katy with G and Grandpa, and appears to be adjusting as well as can be expected. We miss them so much, but are so thankful that they are in good hands.
Q: What about all your stuff?
Our apartment will be furnished, so we’ll just be moving clothes, the kids’ books and toys, and a few household items. The rest of our stuff will go to family, into storage, or just go away.
Q: Will there still be a blog?
Yes. Look for a new blog soon.
Q: Will you teach the kids Mandarin?
Yes. Actually, we’re hoping they’ll teach us.
Q: Will John go to pre-school there?
Possibly, though not until the fall. I’m looking into a few preschools near where we’ll live.
Q: Have you totally lost your minds?
Again, possibly.
We’re looking forward to sharing this adventure with all of you, and hope that you will remember us in your prayers as we prepare for the big move!
8 comments:
Again, my apologies (especially to the Sayles family)for being married to the worst secret keeper ever. Usually a vault (and also forgetter of whatever I've just told him), I guess he was just a little too excited about your adventure!
And I know I have no right to say this but I don't want you to go!!!!!!!!! :) But I too am excited for you. Seersee.
What, you were serious about that? ;) And, I know it will come back to bite me in the butt to critique an english major technical writer, but you said in your blog you were planning on leaving January 2008. You guys are WAY behind. :)
D: You weren't the biggest leak, I promise. That goes to the people from work who yelled it across Taco Deli. Followed closely by the For Sale sign. ;-)
A: Oops. Yeah, I'd better fix that. Good catch!
wow! congratulations! what an exciting opportunity! i can't wait to hear more and to follow your journey via a new blog!
Ah yes, just another chance to rub Taco Deli in my face, eh? ;)
I want a cowboy taco. Badly.
Wow! That's a shocker! So exciting. I wanna move go to China for 18 months!
WOW. You are so brave. I thought living in Mexico for a year was an adventure...China is like a whole different planet. I hope you love it!
Wow!! That is amazing! Keep us posted and we will be praying for all of the transitions that you will be going through!
Post a Comment