Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Unfortunately, it's not a case of mistaken identity

John is definitely my child. Besides being freakishly observant (I figure it's only a matter of time before he starts on the license plates), he's also really into adjectives -- everything has to be described in exact terms of size and color. Makes the English major in me a little proud.

Up until a few days ago, his world was pretty equally divided into things that were big (BIG red car, BIG green tractor) and things that were not. He didn't necessarily specify things that were small.

But now we have a new category -- little bitty. Not just small, not even just little. Little bitty. It started with "little bitty black beans", and now the most common usage is when he is referring to himself. It's hilarious -- "Little bitty John in the big boy bed." "Little bitty John in the cold blue water."

And this just makes the comparison to things that are BIG that much more pronounced. And distressing, given that he's taken to calling me BIG mama. As in BIG mama's BIG belly. And BIG mama's BIG shirt. Oh, I could try to pretend that he's heard me talk about Big Mama enough times to get us confused, but we all know that would be just this side of delusional. Sadly, it's just a running commentary about my changing shape. I just wish the commentary weren't so loud, and constant, and peppered with giggles -- especially while I'm wearing a bathing suit at a very crowded pool.

I could try to fight it, but it's probably a losing battle anyway, considering that HEB has a sale on Double Stuffed Oreos this week. :-)

No comments: