Monday, July 23, 2007

An Ode to Bulky Day

It's here. Bulky Item Pick-Up Day. That magical time that comes twice a year, when the city finally deigns to pick up the stuff that won't fit in our standard, city-issued trash can. Oh, it's a beautiful thing when we and all of our neighbors start hauling out the junk that's been languishing in our garages in anticipation of this happy week. Lawns sprout broken office chairs and old cabinetry, tools, lumber, tires, even a dishwasher or two. And that's just on our block!

I get a little giddy around Bulky Day. It's usually in July and January, so I'll start watching the mail in June for the tell-tale blue card announcing our chosen week. (The city doesn't publish the dates, in hopes of discouraging the scavengers. Who, by the way, are not discouraged in the least.) All those things that I've wavered over keeping are unceremoniously chunked out the front door or dragged around from the side of the house -- because, it's Bulky Day! And if we don't get rid of it now, we won't have another chance until January. The negotiations are swift and merciless. If Tommy shows even the slightest hint of willingness to part with it, out it goes.

Bulky Day was a little bit of a shock to me when we first moved in to our house -- we arrived just before the scheduled pick-up, and as we drove through the neighborhood and counted more than one lawn with a toilet perched out front, I had just the slightest bit of buyer's remorse. (Because, you know, one lawn with a toilet is acceptable, but two? Downright trashy.)

And then the scavengers make it even more interesting, boldly charging up my yard to unscrew light bulbs from discarded ceiling fans, and even darting up to take our old vacuum while I was in between trips from the garage. The athleticism! The patience it takes to score that perfect garage-sale reject! I'm in awe of them, really. It almost becomes a game -- put stuff out at night, and see what is still there when you wake up in the morning. Like leaving cookies out for Santa, except on Bulky Day, Santa takes all of your junk for free!

So, happy Bulky Day, everyone. Hope that it is as magical for you as it is for me.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Bulky Day negotiations over here were not so successful. Do you think that if I put up a sign directing the scavengers to all of the scraps of lumber, siding and insulation in my backyard, they would be so bold as to scavenge that far? I've seen two scavenger trucks go by so far today and they didn't even brake at the sight of my delapidated shoe racks out there. ;)

Enjoy the magic of the season. January is far, far away!

Lucy Sayles said...

LQTM (Laughing Quietly to Myself)

April said...

You know you have almost lost your childhood completely when Bulky Day becomes Christmas! :) Hope it was a good one for you!