John and I went out to run errands this afternoon, and while we were in the taxi, he read the word "woman" and asked me what it meant. I explained that little boys and little girls grow up to be men and women. He thought about it for a minute, and then said, "When I grow up, I'll be a man. And then Daddy will turn into a little boy, and when he loses his privileges*, I'll be the one to press the elevator buttons."
*For those who aren't familiar with John's privileges system: John's greatest joy about Shanghai is living in a high-rise and getting to press the elevator buttons to get to our apartment. His second greatest joy (anywhere) is playing reading games on Starfall.com. He has a graduated scale of punishment when he misbehaves, and the ultimate punishment -- the thing that he dreads the most -- is losing his "privileges" of button-pushing and playing Starfall for the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment