Friday, January 09, 2009

Random thoughts so far ...

1. We might be eating out until spring. Not just because it will take me that long to figure out Carrefour, but because our kitchen is FREEZING. No heat in there, no insulation. I have to put on my jacket just to wash the dishes. I thought that the kitchen had a door because of the smell. Turns out it's because I can put a full cup of milk on the counter and it will be just fine all day long.

2. I wonder how long it will take me to get used to seeing people in Carrefour picking up hunks of freshly butchered meat from an open case, with BARE HANDS, trying to find the best piece. At one point John fell on the floor and I started shrieking "GET OFF THE FLOOR! I HAVE TO WASH YOUR HANDS!!!"

3. All of the light switches are outside of the rooms they control. A little bit annoying.

4. The apartment has fancy plasma TVs. Which doesn't do me a bit of good when we have 8 English channels -- CNN International, BBC International, Bloomberg International, Asia News Network, ESPN International (all badminton, all the time), HBO circa 1985, Cinemax, and Discovery Channel.

5. If I can barely survive taking J&B to eat (inside) Chick Fil A at home, I'm not sure what made me think I could walk -- B in the stroller, John lollygagging behind -- 10 minutes away to eat lunch, in the 30 degree weather with 20 mph winds, without a total meltdown. Oh, I know. It was that we have no food and it's too cold to be in my kitchen.

6 comments:

Jessie said...

Hang in there!

April said...

Mmmmmmm...counter milk. ;) Oh wells, surely it's like a fine wine - you just gotta let it breath a bit, right? Sounds like y'all are doing great on your end, though. Ruth, you have already gone above and beyond what I be doing! :)

April said...

Sorry, what I'D be doing...stupid keyboard...

Rebecca said...

you make it all sound so easy ;-)

kerin said...

Ruth! So glad to get your card and update, and blog address! How crazy you are in China! Jon and I are hoping to travel there this summer, in hopes of moving there after that. We'll be north of you, though. Probably flying into Beijing, and then traveling north. Anyway, would love to connect and look forward to reading more about your experiences!

Holly D said...

okay --- hys-terical! with the t.v. channels...yes, i'm in the us, but dont' have cable and hate not having tbs. much worse when time warner did it's weird strike thing and we didn't have NBC. oh, poor you. i'll pray for you on that!

and the 'john lollygagging' thing...I think him and kennedy must be soul mates in that respect. how annoying IS that!?!?!?

The milk thing reminded me of when michael spent a summer in germany. They bought gallons of milk at the beginning of the summer and just left them out - ON THE TOP OF THE REFRIGERATOR- all summer and drank them as needed. He said about mid-july he threw up after cereal one morning and didn't have it again all summer! Ah, memories :)

Well, we're praying for all your adjustments. :)