Sunday, January 25, 2009

Our way has been prepared

This morning I took Betsy across town to the pediatrician. Last night she had a pretty high fever, and we were worried that it would develop into something worse -- and with everything closing down for Chinese New Year, we thought we should get it checked out. Turns out, she's fine -- just a virus that will run its course. And by tonight, she was pretty much back to her usually happy self.

While we were at the pediatrician, though, I was totally humbled and overwhelmed by all the ways we have been blessed here in these past two weeks.

First, there was the matter of getting an appointment for first thing on a Sunday morning (done with one phone call), and then finding and getting to the pediatrician's office in Puxi. We knew the name of the clinic recommended by our co-workers, but that's about it. I sent an email to my friend Helene (the Aggie in our compound) to warn her about the fever, and she responded that she had been to that clinic and would bring me a taxi card to get there first thing in the morning. Praise.

We got there, checked in, and while I was filling out forms I met a family from Minnesota -- the wife was from Wayzata, in fact, and had graduated from WHS in 1994. OK, I'm getting used to meeting all the Texans -- but Wayzata? Just a bit more obscure. We talked for a few minutes and I learned that they attend the Puxi church we visited when we were here. She gave me her name and email and invited me to email her with any questions. Again, praise.

The doctor came in and checked Betsy. He was so reassuring and helpful, and reminded me that her immune system is basically starting from scratch here, and that I should just be prepared for a few weeks like this. The official diagnosis was a random virus -- nothing more serious to worry about. Obvious praise!

And then while I was waiting to check out, the doctor came back out to find me, specifically to tell me that the chief pediatrician at the clinic closer to our house belongs to the church we've been attending on our side of town. Along with his wife, Alice. Whom I had just met the other day at our playground. Because they live in our compound!

So I check out -- with the staff calling our insurance company and verifying our coverage, since we don't have our ID cards yet. That extra five minutes saved us what would have been a few hundred dollars and probably several weeks of paperwork to get the charges reimbursed. Many thanks, and praise.

And as I walk away, I look up and see a Baylor College of Medicine diploma framed in the waiting room. And for the first time since we got here, I just started crying. It was just so obvious that our way has been prepared. All of the prayers said by our friends and family, all of the times people have lifted us up and asked that the transition would be smooth, that we would make friends and feel at home in our new city, all of the encouragement we have been given -- everything has been answered, with grace to spare.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear the transition has been very smooth for you guys! :) Praise!

Lucy Sayles said...

That's awesome Ruth! I loved to read about God's good providence working in your lives!!

April said...

What an amazing, encouraging encounter! How great is our God, indeed!! So glad to hear that B is doing better, and that you recognize God's Hand working all around you.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome to hear, Ruth! I am so glad you are seeing God's hand in all this so clearly and so consistently. Hope the kids' immune systems will be boosted soon and can't wait to hear more. It's exciting to read about life in a new place!

Love,
Jessica P.