We're really lucky that Seton has WiFi now. The only glitch is that we can't access the outgoing RoadRunner mail server, so if I haven't responded to your email, that's why. (Well, that and having a newborn.)
So, to answer everyone who has asked, here's how it all went down....
2:00 am -- Wake up with really strong contractions for the fourth night in a row. Ouch.
2:30 am -- Decide this is probably going to happen. Sweep and swiffer downstairs to keep the contractions going.
2:50 am -- Contractions stop. Head back to bed.
7:30 am -- Nana calls to say that she's arriving on the 5:00 flight that afternoon.
8:30 am -- Take Lucy for a walk to see if I can start the contractions again. It works.
9:15 am -- Contractions still going, but I am determined to take John to the Pumpkin Festival. So we shower and pack the car, and head for the pumpkins.
10:15 am -- With contractions speeding up, attempt to help John hit a golf ball through a ghost cut-out. Try not to scare the Boy Scouts working the carnival games as I breathe through the contractions. Start thinking we should call the doctor.
10:30 am -- Freak out fellow petting zoo patrons while leaving a message for Robert: "Hey, it's us -- we're probably going to head to the hospital in a few minutes". Call the emergency line and get the go-ahead to proceed to Seton.
11:00 am -- Robert picks up John ("Aubrey's silver Toyota!") and we head for Seton. Realize we're hungry and drive through Wendy's on the way. Hey, we've done this before. It's going to be a while before we get to eat again.
11:45 am -- Check in at Seton. Get a room, get hooked up on monitors, and notice the contractions have gotten farther apart and less painful. Realize that we're probably going back home, or at least have to walk the halls for a couple of hours.
12:30 pm -- Nurse calls the on-call doctor, who decides to take pity on me and let me stay. Start pitocin. Also start complaining.
12:45-2:00 pm -- Moaning and wailing and gnashing of teeth. And listening to the first quarter of the A&M game on Gametracker. Did we mention that Seton has WiFi now? Flipping TV between ESPN and FSN doesn't make the contractions any easier.
2:01 pm -- Epidural. Relief.
2:03 pm -- Huh. My back itches.
2:10 pm -- I am going to scrape the skin off my body to make the itching stop.
2:30 pm -- First of 3 IV doses of Benadryl to help the itching, plus a Claritin. Doesn't help. At least A&M is winning.
3:30 pm -- Nurse asks me (again) if I like football.
4-5:15 pm -- Progress from 5 to 10. Realize that the hours spent programming a "Labor" playlist on the iPod were wasted, as there is not a single song I want to listen to. Nana lands at ABIA at 4:45.
5:25 pm -- Start the hard part. Nana arrives at Seton.
5:52 pm -- Betsy is born!
So that was our day. I didn't really think it was going to turn out quite that way when I was making cinnamon rolls for John in the morning. But we're so glad that it did!
No comments:
Post a Comment