Thursday, September 13, 2007

So, where were we ...

Oh, that's right. Singing "Cat's in the Cradle." Sorry about that.

Since our last update, we've been pretty busy. (Shocker.) We went to Katy for Tommy's birthday weekend and a mini-babymoon in The Woodlands. John spent his babymoon with G and Grandpa, blissfully unaware that the babymoon means the baby is almost here. Poor kid.

We drove to Katy on Friday afternoon to drop John off, and then headed north-east-ish towards The Woodlands. I am not exaggerating when I say that it took us longer to get from Katy to our hotel than it did to get from Austin to Katy. Houston traffic? We don't like you.

Maybe it was the fact that it was a Friday evening, of a holiday weekend, and we were trying to get across town on the tollway without our toll tag. Or, maybe it was the fact that there is ONE exit from I-45 to The Woodlands. Personally, I think it was the fact that Def Leppard was playing at the pavilion -- with Styx and Journey, no less -- that caused us to go 1.8 miles in 45 minutes.

Because it took so long to get to the hotel, we scrapped our movie plans and focused on dinner. We picked Jasper's, which seemed perfectly logical since we have one at the new mall across the street. It was delicious -- and memorable thanks to our waiter, Jarvis, who looked like House and offered us water selections of "Fiji for still, or Pellegrino for sparkling. Or ... tap."

We shopped Saturday morning and then I dropped Tommy off with Dash, so they could trek up to College Station for the game. You see, Caitlin graciously found tickets for her big brothers and, even more graciously, attended her first-ever A&M game as a student with them. This worked out great for me, since I hadn't come up with a birthday present for Tommy yet. John bought him a hat at Rother's. :-)

As for me, I enjoyed the game on the radio back in Katy, with G, Grandpa, and Shae. And went to bed early. A win-win situation, if ever there was one.

And then we went to church on Sunday, took long naps, and headed across Houston again to hang out with April and Justin -- who grilled us some amazing steaks! -- before driving back home, where Tommy rounded out the weekend by coming down with a major cold and spent most of Labor Day sniffling and sneezing in bed.

Fun times. I guess that's what happens when you turn 31 -- right, sweetheart? ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm 31, now? That sucks.

-Tommy