Friday, January 11, 2008

I miss The Rec

Maybe it's because the old Explorer is gone, or maybe it's because I folded a t-shirt last night from 1996, but I'm feeling a lot of nostalgia right now for ye olde College Station. Today's trip down memory lane takes us to The Rec, our fabulous gym on campus, the site of my most consistent attempt at physical fitness.

Oh, to think of the energy I used to have, when after a long day walking to and from class, I could still muster the motivation to work out. Or when I had the willpower to get up at 5 am for a spin class that Tollie promised us was amazing. And we all dutifully went the first day. Three out of the four of us (ahem, Tollie ;-)) showed up the second day, too.

The best memory of The Rec has to be water aerobics during our senior year. It was a great workout, for sure, but the highlight of the class was talking in the back about the delicious crawfish enchiladas we were going to eat later that night. We would get through our workout, then race home to change clothes and watch Friends before heading out to dinner. I tell you what, those styrofoam weights really work up an appetite!

But, alas, free gym memberships and the muscle tone of youth are fleeting. So now that I'm just a few tall peppermint mocha frappuccinos away from Mom Jeans, I will have to do my best to recreate The Rec experience at home with crunches set to Coolio. Yes, Kristin -- that one's for you. ;-)

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Um... sweetheart, free membership? I guess you missed the fine print.

- Tommy

k&bpowers said...

Tommy- Daddy Coleman and Bishop were paying, so in our minds it was free. And Ruth, the only the better than Coolio is Tupac.
kp

Anonymous said...

Surely I didn't stand you up for a gym workout!
Tollie