Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Latest John-isms

Even on the most challenging of days, John can't hide his cuteness. (OK, yes, I'm biased.)

-- When he sings his "Months of the Year" song from school, our favorite part is ".... May and Junior and July ..."

-- He likes to point out every security camera and "smoky larm" he sees

-- His latest way to get out of doing something, or telling us that he doesn't like it? He'll say that he can't, because whatever it is "kinda makes him throw up a little bit." As in, "Well, I can't pick up my toys because that kinda makes me want to throw up a little bit. You know, in my mouth."

-- He says that the bathroom floor is "slippily"

Now, we are going through the joyous experience of potty training. And while I won't bless you with the graphic details, let's just say that we are having great success in one area and epic battles in another. He can recount the exact times of compliance: "One time when Adison was here, and one time when she wasn't, and one time when Nana was here, and one time when she wasn't. See, 4 times."

Yesterday was an all-out war over the potty, in the midst of other random behavioral issues. I have been taking privileges away when he disobeys -- that seems to have better results than time out -- and I was recapping what he had lost so far for other, non-potty-related infractions.

Me: John, let's think about what you've lost so far. First, you lost your dessert privilege after dinner. Second, you lost your 2nd book privilege at nap time. Next, you will lose ...
John: No, Mama. You mean my third privilege, not my next one.

Then a little while later, after another standoff over the potty, I was trying to explain to him the concept of truth -- like if I told him that a dog said moo or that the sun was brown, those would be lies. And reminded him that if I asked him whether he needed to use the potty, he needed to tell me the truth.

Me: OK, John. I'm going to ask you again, and I want you to tell me the truth. Do you need to use the potty? Yes, or no?
John: (long pause) I ... don't ... think so.

We have just decided to start saving for law school.

2 comments:

Tim and Jamie said...

I am SO glad that your three-year-old has a better sense of proper grammar than pretty much every high school student I've ever taught. Please tell him I am so happy at his insistence on parallel structure. Hilarious!!

April said...

Sounds like a first-born to me!