Sunday, April 10, 2011

J&B, April 2011

What a pair, these sweet kids of mine. I am incredibly blessed to have such funny little people living with me, especially since they truly seem to cherish each other. (of course, they bicker. And argue, and sometimes make each other cry. But they also take time to say "I love you" to each other, and to do sweet things for each other, and there are few things sweeter than watching them together.

(And yes, maybe I'm just a little wistful right now because I am getting on a plane to Shanghai in 6 hours -- without them -- and impending absence does make a mother's heart grow fonder.)

John, my little big guy -- oh he is a hoot. This child who seems so big and tall all of a sudden and yet is the very, very smallest in the entire kindergarten. I can't help but think of him as so young and little, until the opens his mouth and tells me some minute detail about some distant solar system, which he memorized from some library book. Space is the current obsession right now (admittedly, one I have encouraged, and yes, brought upon myself) though he is still very into Star Wars and Legos. We are treated to daily hand-drawn diagrams of the Saturn V rocket, with explanations of the various stages of the launch and illustrations of trans-lunar injection. (And yes, he writes that on the drawing.) He can tell you the history of the lunar missions and the relative core sizes of all the planets. He makes me smile, especially when he tells me that he can't decide whether he wants to be an astronaut or a bone doctor. And oh, he is so sweet. So thoughtful and so considerate of other people, especially his friends and his sister. He will still insist on hugs and kisses each night before bed, and will still snuggle with me when he's tired, and lucky for me he has been playing so hard lately that he is very tired almost every single night. I can't believe he's almost 6.

And then, there's the girl. My sweet Betsy, our Twinkle, 3 going on 16. If this year is any indication, we are in for a wild ride come her teenage years. Her loves right now are her friends, her teachers, dancing (though you'd never know it by the protest she puts up each Friday morning before ballet class), dresses, and having her toenails painted various and hideous shades. I am tempted to call her manipulative, but that seems unfair, especially when her most effective tactic is to wrap her arms around my neck when I'm kissing her goodnight and say, "Mama, I need more of you. Will you please sleep with me? I'm sad when you go away." And then I turn to mush in her room and give in. How can that much sweetness be manipulation? ;-) We are having so much fun this year, doing our little routine while John is in school, and I know that it won't be long before she's off in school every day with him. She has more personality in her little finger than many adults I know, and the most expressive face - she has us laughing every single day with the things she says and her very effective way of communicating exactly what she's thinking.

Pictures of both of these cuties coming up soon ...

No comments: