Monday, November 15, 2010

This Sweet Goodnight Moment brought to you by Benadryl

I'm recording this here, because it was so quick and random that I don't want to forget it.

Just now, as I was tucking Betsy into bed, I sat with her for a few extra minutes. Her eyes closed almost immediately, thanks to her Benadryl*, but I stayed there and rubbed her back to make sure she was really asleep. She seemed to be completely out. Just before I left, I kissed her and said "Good night, princess." This is not something I usually say at bedtime, but she had been pretending to be Cinderella all day so it seemed appropriate. Without even opening her eyes, she rolled over, put one arm around my shoulder and said "Good night, Queen."

------------------------
Betsy (like the rest of us) has been suffering through a mild but persistent virus, and now it seems that she has an ear infection to go along with her heartbreaking cough. Nothing that some antibiotics and a vaporizer won't knock out, but our pediatrician also suggested that we give her a little Benadryl to help with the sniffles.

Now, I have avoided giving her Benadryl ever since I gave her a dose around a year old and discovered that she was one of the small percentage of kids who have the paradoxical reaction to it. As in, it makes them freakishly hyper rather than knocking them out. Not. Cool. I don't know when she "switched", but I made it through all of those international flights without it -- which in most cases means I made it through those flights without her sleeping. Kinda makes me wish I'd tried it sooner!

No comments: