I haven't posted an update about John's school because it is just too sad. The first week was a nightmare. OK, the first day was awesome -- the next four were horrific. On the days that he wasn't pitching an all-out, screaming tantrum about not wanting to go, he was stoic all the way to school only to start streaming tears as soon as I was ready to leave him there.
Which is not to suggest that he was miserable all day -- the teachers called me after 30 minutes each day to tell me that he was fine, and he was perfectly happy each afternoon. But drop-offs were pretty traumatic.
We don't really know what's causing the problem. Could be the language barrier, could be the result of four (long) months with no schedule, it could be a delayed reaction to moving to China or anxiety over coming back after the summer. But it is uncharacteristic of our sweet, school-loving boy and zero fun.
He had a three day week this week, and Wednesday was his best day so far. Except that when he got home, he said things that suggested he thought that it was his last day ever. I am predicting that the first Monday back will be extra-bad.
So, we'll wait and see how it goes, and research other options. We don't want him to hate school, or to have a negative reaction. We also don't want him to think that he can have his way when he throws major tantrums.
It sure would be a shame if we had to take him out of that school. All those precious uniforms would go unworn.
1 comment:
R - I'm so sorry to hear about sweet John. It sounds like a really difficult situation. I'll keep you guys in my prayers about it. xo, Lu
Post a Comment