Monday, November 17, 2008

Things that will be hard to get used to, Volume I

There's the obvious, right -- the whole not being in America part. ;-) But there are some little things, just in our short time here, that will require patience:

-- The non-potable water. You can't even think about drinking the water. Like Mexico, but worse. I haven't yet mastered the art of using bottled water to rinse my toothbrush, and keep turning on the faucet out of habit (before freaking out and turning it off.)

-- The smoking. I have been spoiled by the smoking bans. But here? Smoking everywhere, in restaurants, etc. And that's added to the smog and haze.

-- The whole smelling-like-food thing. I don't like smelling like food; this is well-documented. I am going to have to get over it, quickly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Shanghai commentary! Please continue to tell us about everything!!
Tollie

Our Family said...

A word of advice from having lived in a foreign country myself. NEVER trust anyone American or not who says, "This area is safe to use the tap water for drinking or brushing teeth, etc." And even if someone washes strawberries/lettuce, commit to being strawberry/lettuce-free for 18 months no matter how long they "soaked them in food wash". :o) I'm still suffering the consequences of those mistakes 8 years later...